GRANOLLERS: FIRST CERTIFICATE 5.50 EUROS HORAS


jueves, 23 de febrero de 2012

Performative Verbs or Declaratives

Performative Verbs

 

I Speak, Therefore I Act

Performatives sound a bit mystical at first, like a spell or incantation. But in fact such verbs are quite commonplace. If you’ve ever said, “I promise” or “I apologize,” you have performed those actions by the simple act of saying them. You’re not talking about doing these things or stating that you’re doing them; you’re actually doing them. The same is true when you say, “I bet,” “I invite,” “I request,” or “I protest,” for example. There are countless other examples, such as:
  • I now pronounce you husband and wife.
  • I’m warning you, don’t go in there.
  • I thank you for your kind attention.
  • You’re fired!
  • I must ask you to leave now.
  • I christen this ship The Daydream.
  • I claim this land in the name of the king of England.

 more info: http://itotd.com/articles/419/performative-verbs/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


CURSOS INTENSIVOS DE VERANO


Entradas populares

CLASES DE INGLÉS FRANCÉS