GRANOLLERS: FIRST CERTIFICATE 5.50 EUROS HORAS


martes, 27 de noviembre de 2012

( UP TO ) AS AN ADJECTIVE


up to
1 a : capable of performing or dealing with (something) 

▪ She feels she is up to her role in the play. ▪ She feels up to the challenge. ▪ The patient is now up to seeing visitors. [=is now healthy enough to see visitors] 

b : good enough for (something) 

▪ Her performance wasn't up to her usual standards. [=wasn't as good as it usually is] ▪ The hotel wasn't up to our expectations. [=wasn't as good as we expected it to be] ▪ (Brit) My Spanish isn't up to much. [=my Spanish is not very good]

2 : doing something especially in a way that is secret and with intentions that are bad 

▪ What are they up to? 
▪ I know they're up to something, but I don't know what.
 ▪ I'm sure he is up to no good.

3 — used to say who is responsible for making a choice or decision 

▪ “Do you want Chinese food tonight or Italian?” “It doesn't matter to me, so it's up to you.” 
▪ The amount of your donation is entirely up to you.
 ▪ It is up to you to decide.

4 a — used to indicate the place or level that is reached by something 

▪ The water was up toour knees. = We were in water up to our knees. 

b : to or at (a specified amount, level, etc.) 

▪ Estimates for repairing the car ran from $500 up to $1,000. 
▪ The lottery is up to five million dollars. 

c : as many or as much as (a specified number or amount) 

▪ Up to eight people can play the game. 
▪ The car holds up to six people. 
▪ The ship can carry up to10 tons.

5 : during the time or period before 

▪ Up to this point, we have been discussing our long-term goals. 
▪ Up to [=until] that time they had been fairly successful.
up to here
informal — used to show that you have too much of something to deal with or that you are very annoyed by something and will not accept any more of it 

▪ I have work up to here to do. [=I have a lot of work to do]
 ▪ I've had it up to here with your nonsense! [=I am sick of your nonsense]



  ( UP TO ) AS AN ADJECTIVE buy

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


CURSOS INTENSIVOS DE VERANO


Entradas populares

CLASES DE INGLÉS FRANCÉS