Ergative verbs
Ergative verbs
1. Ergative verbs are both transitive and intransitive:
Peter closed the door Transitive: N + V + N
The door closed Intransitive: N + V
I boiled a pan of water Transitive: N + V + N
The pan boiled Intransitive: N + V
2. Common ergative verbs are:
• begin
• break
• change
• close
• drop
• crack
• dry
• end
• finish
• grow
• improve
• increase
• move
• open
• shake
• start
• stop
• tear
• turn
I broke the glass.
I dropped the glass and it broke.
The referee blew his whistle and started the match.
The match started at 2.30.
We grew some tasty potatoes.
The potatoes were growing well.
The wind shook the trees.
The trees shook in the wind.
3. Many verbs to do with cooking are ergative verbs:
• bake
• boil
• cook
• defrost
• freeze
• melt
• roast
You should roast the meat at 200 degrees centigrade.
The meat was roasting in a hot oven.
I always defrost meat before I cook it.
I am waiting for the meat to defrost.
Melt the chocolate and pour it over the ice cream.
The chocolate was melting in a pan.
4. Verbs to do with vehicles are often ergative:
• back
• crash
• drive
• fly
• reverse
• run
• sail
• start
• stop
I’m learning to fly a plane.
The plane flew at twice the speed of sound.
He crashed his car into a tree.
His car crashed into a tree.
5. We use some ergative verbs with only a few nouns:
• catch: dress, coat, clothes, trousers etc.
• fire : Gun, pistol, rifle, rocket.
• play: guitar, music, piano, violin, CD, DVD etc.
• ring: bell, alarm
She caught her dress on a nail.
Her dress caught on a nail.
He fired a pistol to start the race.
A pistol fired to start the race.
TOEFL - IETLS - CAE - FCE - CPE - KET - PET AND EOI EXAMS - GRANOLLERS Tel: 93 870 20 47 / 676 18 97 63 / C/ Agustí Vinyamata, 73 , Granollers
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
Contacto
Entradas populares
-
PARTICULAR DE INGLÉS Y FRANCÉS ECONÓMICO GRANOLLERS http://ping.fm/yddGb
-
Consejos de estudio 1 - Organiza tu tiempo de estudio y valora la necesidad de insistir más o menos en determinados temas en función de...
-
Phrasal Verbs : Multi-word Verbs If I had to say what the single most asked question by my students is, I believe that would be: How can I...
-
CLASES DE INGLÉS 1 HR / 5 € Días : Sábados Horarios : 09h00 las 11h00 Precio : 5 € la hora Nivel : Básico Min : 2 personas c...
-
Idioms: Intransitive Verbs with Prepositions In the following examples, the verbs are intransitive because objects do not follow them. T...
-
VERBOS MODALES ( ANOMALOUS FINITIES VERBS ) VERBOS MODALES ( GENERALIDADES ) MODALS VERBS OF OBLIGATIONS USO CAN / COULD / TO BE ABLE U...
-
Idioms: Pairs of Adjectives The adjectival idioms below are formed from pairs of prepositions, verbs nouns or adjectives. These pairs can be...
-
aprendamosfacil: OFERTAS : oferta para desempleados __________________________________ ___________________________________________...
-
Idioms: Transitive Verbs with Prepositions (Type III) The idioms below are made of a transitive verb + a preposition. Like Type I and II co...






No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario