English lesson SOME ANY
Some and Any
The words some and any are used for countable and uncountable nouns. In general, we could say that some means a few / a little and any means none in negative clauses or a few / a little in questions.
Positive Clauses
In positive clauses, we usually use some.
Example:I have bought some bread.
I have bought some apples.
Negative Clauses
In negative clauses, we use any. Note, however, that any alone is not a negative - it must be not ... any
Example:I have not bought any bread.
I have not bought any apples.
Questions
In questions, we usually use any.
Example:Have you bought any bread?
Have you bought any apples?
Compound Words with some & any
Some & any can also be part of compound words such as:
■something / anything
■someone / anyone
■somewhere / anywhere
Note that some & any have to be used with a noun while compound words with some & any can stand on their own.
Example:I have bought some bread.
I have bought something.
However, some and any need not stand directly before the noun. Sometimes, the noun appears somewhere before some or any and is not repeated. So if you are not sure whether to use some or something for example, check if there is a noun in the sentence that you can place after some.
Example:I do not have to buy bread. Rachel has already bought some [bread].
Exceptions
Positive Clauses with Any
We usually use some in positive clauses. But after never, without, hardly, we use any.
Example:We never go anywhere.
She did her homework without any help.
There’s hardly anyone here.
Also in if clauses, we usually use any.
Example:If there is anything to do, just call me.
Questions with Some
We usually use any in questions. But if we expect or want the other to answer ‚yes‘, we use some.
Example:Have you got any brothers and sisters?
→ some people have brothers or sisters, others don't - we cannot expect the answer to be ‚yes‘
Would you like some biscuits?
→ we offer something and want to encourage the other to say ‚ja‘
There is - There are
Some / Any
Some and Any
TOEFL - IETLS - CAE - FCE - CPE - KET - PET AND EOI EXAMS - GRANOLLERS Tel: 93 870 20 47 / 676 18 97 63 / C/ Agustí Vinyamata, 73 , Granollers
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
Contacto
Entradas populares
-
PARTICULAR DE INGLÉS Y FRANCÉS ECONÓMICO GRANOLLERS http://ping.fm/yddGb
-
Consejos de estudio 1 - Organiza tu tiempo de estudio y valora la necesidad de insistir más o menos en determinados temas en función de...
-
CLASES DE INGLÉS 1 HR / 5 € Días : Sábados Horarios : 09h00 las 11h00 Precio : 5 € la hora Nivel : Básico Min : 2 personas c...
-
Idioms: Transitive Verbs with Prepositions (Type III) The idioms below are made of a transitive verb + a preposition. Like Type I and II co...
-
VERBOS MODALES ( ANOMALOUS FINITIES VERBS ) VERBOS MODALES ( GENERALIDADES ) MODALS VERBS OF OBLIGATIONS USO CAN / COULD / TO BE ABLE U...
-
aprendamosfacil: OFERTAS : oferta para desempleados __________________________________ ___________________________________________...
-
Phrasal Verbs : Multi-word Verbs If I had to say what the single most asked question by my students is, I believe that would be: How can I...
-
Idioms: Intransitive Verbs with Prepositions In the following examples, the verbs are intransitive because objects do not follow them. T...
-
Marie Rackham - Level 1 - Introduction






No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario