GRANOLLERS: FIRST CERTIFICATE 5.50 EUROS HORAS


jueves, 6 de enero de 2011

ADJECTIVES + NOUN COMBINATIONS

Idioms: Adjective + Noun Combinations

The idioms here are made of adjective + noun combinations. They can be used as subjects, objects, and noun phrases after prepositions.

You should understand these expressions, know other ways of saying the same thing, and know which of these synonyms to use in a particular context. You can learn a lot about an idiom if you look at the context of its use. Try to guess the meaning of each idiom as it is used in the following sentences. Then, click on any idiom for complete explanations and examples, but be aware that these expressions may have other meanings not listed here. Remember: you can use Word Neighbors to find out how frequently any expression is used in English.



1. Joe has borrowed money three times without paying me back, and now he wants $50! That's the last straw!

2. I had a close call when a big truck nearly hit me as I was crossing the street.

3. He thinks and talks as if he knows everything, but he really doesn't; he's full of hot air.

4. My friend thinks he's a big shot because he has some responsibilities in the city mayor's office.

5. When I said I liked her dinner, which really was terrible, I told a white lie because I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

6. At first Mary agreed to marry John, but soon she was having second thoughts.

7. Because Mr. Smith knows the ins and cuts of plumbing, he's an old hand at it.

8. Joe puts his heart and soul into his work, so that everyone thinks he's a real eager beaver.

9. I'm afraid that there's no way we can fix your old car; you'd better get rid of it because it's a lost cause.

10. At most parties, people socialize by engaging in a lot of informal small talk.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


CURSOS INTENSIVOS DE VERANO


Entradas populares

CLASES DE INGLÉS FRANCÉS